The Tunisian Association of Dental Students, TADS as every year returns with its special event prophylaxis days with its 7th edition to celebrate the world oral health day and to make impact all over Tunisia by motivating people of different age groups about oral hygiene and inform them of their role in the prevention of caries and periodontal diseases to act on mouth health. Caries screening for children 3 to 11 years old. In this year’s edition we are upgrading to reach more people by going to 20 governates all over Tunisia. It will begin with 3 days of registrations for the dental students in the university of Monastir which are the 25th,26th and 27th of February 2019 with an opening ceremony for the event on tuesday the 26th where all the program will be presented , challenges will be announced and there will be an information session for the new participants about how to conduct screenings and how to motivate people on how to act on mouth health.
After the registration and the opening ceremony, the days that we will work on are respectively:
- 28/02/2019: the 1st day we will work in 7 schools in 4 different places of Monastir Governerate which are Jammal (1school), Wardanine(1 school), Bannan (1 school) and Bni Hasssen ( 4schools) which is a very rural area.
- 03/03/2019: the 2nd day in Park Esaada Marsa in Tunis governorate which is a public parc where family go with their children.
- 06/03/2019: the 3rd day we will go to an SOS in SIliana governorate and schools in Zaghouan governorate.
- 09/03/2019: the 4th day we will go to Beb Bhar in Sousse which is a public place where we can find people from different ages.
- 10/03/2019: the 5th day we will go to Sfax also in a public place.
- 12/03/2019: the 6th day: we will go to schools in 3 different governorates by bus which are Kairouan, Kasserine and Sidi Bouzid.
- 14/03/2019: the 7th day: we will go to a park in Ksar Helal within Monastir governorate.
- 16/03/2019: the 8th day: we will work on a school in the historical city of Djem within Mahdia governorate.
- 17,18,19&20/03/2019: the excursion which is where we go on a trip to the south of Tunisia and we will stay there for 3 consecutive nights as a whole team where we will work on different schools in Tozeur, Kebili and Gafssa, it will be here where we will celebrate the 20th of march as we will try our best to reach the remote areas in Tunisia.
- 25 & 26/03/2019: the regional activities where we will work in 12 governorates at the same time by sending our teams to the different schools there, it will be the day with maximum of screenings and where we reach the biggest number of people.
This is our whole program. However, it’s not the end as we will be having dental students from other countries participating with us in our international volunteer project and they will be in Tunisia from the 10th of march till the 20th of march.
We will launch the best member award competition where the winner will be the dental student that will attend the most of days of activities in this edition.
In Gafsa governorate which is the most affected region in Tunisia by fluorosis. Our project initiative involves the installation of a pump osmosis unit in the pioneer preparatory school of Gafsa. So, the students can drink water without having fluorosis.
Last but not least, we added the activities department within our OC team which is the team that prepare activities related to world oral health day that we do to children in schools like the “joy lab” where we try to present how the dental decay evolves by simplifying the concept of caries and acid attack by a fun chemistry experiment using red cabbage and solutions used by children (soft drinks, juice, vinegar .....), and setting up natural teeth in several solutions (coffee tea juice soft drinks vinegar lemon milk ....) during 4 hours and seeing the result. The second thing is shadow theater and musical theater where we present roll plays that the children focus on them and enjoy them. Besides, showing children how to make Mandibular impression with alginate and casting to discover theirteeth, we also show them how to use the plaque developer to explain the accumulation of plaque and the presence of bacteria to the child. Finally, we have dance activities, team games and find the treasure activity in public places.
Our motto is that the journey of thousands of miles begins by one step and we will achieve our goal and make the world oral health campaign happen step by step